Crosby's Nurseries recognises its responsibility to operate its ornamental and bedding plant nurseries in a manner that minimises any harmful effect on the environment.
We have analysed how we operate our nurseries and have introduced several environmental measures, including:
• All of our plant growing pots and production shuttle trays are returned at the end of life to our suppliers for recycling. We work closely with our suppliers on this issue and between us we ensure that 100% of our plant growing pots and trays are recycled.
• Polystyrene boxes are used for bedding plant growing and selling. All of our waste bedding plant boxes go back to the manufacturer. They are recycled in Holland where they are converted into decking products.
• We return all of the plug trays for our young plants to our suppliers and our in house plant production trays are all returned for re-use by the suppliers.
•Our own nursery in house propagation unit uses durable, reusable trays. Our supplier informs us that they get 14 trips out of a tray, compared with the previous single trip trays.
•Crosby’s Nurseries are not heavy users of cardboard packing. The cardboard that we do receive is recycled.
• Our compost previously came to us in 80 litre bags. It now comes in 4cu meter bales, achieving a significant saving in the amount of plastic packing used.
• All compost used by Crosby’s Nurseries contains 10% peat fee material, consisting of composted bark.